I hate you! You’re ugly! I’m gonna hurt you!
Have you been a victim of cyber bullying? Are you guilty of hurting someone in this way? Well together, it is time to help end cyber bullying. Some of the more extreme cases of cyber bullying have caused young people to harm themselves to avoid harassment. Others suffer daily from embarrassment and fear from cowardly acts. IT IS NOT OK! CYBER BULLYING IS NEVER OK! Here are some tips to avoid cyber bullies and help eliminate its effects:
(1) If you stand by and watch as one person bullies another, you are just as guilty. SAY SOMETHING!!! Tell the person it’s wrong. Tell an adult. Let the person that’s being bullied know that you’re there to talk if necessary. Take action.
(2) The old saying, “If you cannot say something nice, then don’t say anything at all” holds true. Think about the words you speak or type before you deliver them to avoid being hurtful. Put yourself in the person’s situation. Would you want someone saying anything hurtful to you (no matter how funny it seems)? Keep it positive or keep it moving!
(3) Avoid sharing so much personal information. The more information a negative person knows about you, the better able they are to continue to follow and harass you. Only those close to you should know certain information.
(4) IGNORE THEM!!! BLOCK THEM! Bullies need a target. Without a target, a bully’s actions do not matter. It may not seem like it in the beginning, but in time, they will go away.
(5) Remember that cyber bullying includes activities online, text messaging, and any other methods of mass communication. In any of these areas, only communicate with those that you trust and remember to JUST BE NICE!
Comments? Do you have any other helpful advice or tips? Stories you’d like to share?